Tampa Museum of Art
Seasonal Part-Time Visitor Experience & Security Representative (VESR)
The Visitor Experience & Security Representative (VESR) plays a significant role in providing a memorable experience for all people who visit the Tampa Museum of Art (TMA). the person in the VESR role reports to the VEER Coordinator and provides superior customer service to each visitor, every day, with every interaction. VESRs will receive dynamic, ongoing training from the VEER Coordinator, Security Team, Curatorial Team, Development Team, Education Team, and Marketing Team to ensure that the TMA accomplishes its customer service goals. The role of the VESR will engage museum visitors to facilitate a passion and interest in the TMA’s exhibitions and programs. The VESR will cover events, weekends and must be comfortable working flexible hours that include but are not limited to opening and closing. This will include late evening shifts. VESR’s will also cross train with the Security Team to help with security and event coverage. This position will be required to fulfill duties during holidays. This position will support the Tampa Museum of Art through our fundraising season from October 2021 through January 2022 with possibility of moving into a permanent position.
Welcome Desk and Customer Service
- Greet visitors in a friendly, welcoming manner, answer questions about exhibitions and programs and provide visitor assistance throughout the museum.
- Provide general museum information including, but not limited to, museum admission prices, hours of operation, and membership information.
- Assist groups with getting oriented to the museum for their tours and school visits.
- Assist in handling visitor issues that include, but are not limited to, navigating museum gallery space, museum policies, and museum and exhibition information.
- Proactively engage visitors in conversations and interactions in areas that include, but are not limited to, art, activities, exhibits, and interactive programming.
- Answer phones, transfer phone calls, and respond to voicemail.
- Reply to customer questions by email, social media direct messages, and business web listing reviews.
- Assist with mailings, data entry, and other administrative tasks as assigned.
- Work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Point of Sale Cashiering
- Open and close the front desk, maintain tidy workspace.
- Process point of sale (POS) transactions, including daily admissions, membership purchases and renewals, donations, special event ticket sales, and education registration transactions.
- Follow safe cash handling procedures.
- Close and balance drawer at the end of the day, process end of day report.
- Supply admissions reporting to other departments as needed.
- Comfortable learning new processes and technologies.
Safety & Security
- Must be willing to cross train with security to help cover both Security Team and VEER Team shifts.
- Patrol museum galleries to protect exhibits, and property from theft, violence or vandalism.
- Report any irregular or suspicious activities.
- Report to Security Team dispatch through radio communications, and in-person as needed.
- Decisively responds to assigned calls for service, emergent situations and critical incidents occurring during shift in accordance with established training/standards.
- This position will aid security for events with flexible hours including late nights and weekends.
- Comfortable enforcing gallery/museum guidelines by engaging with the public.
- Work with security primarily to cover shifts, breaks, dispatch area, and patrol museum grounds.
The physical demands described here represent those that an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- Ability to stand and walk in the lobby and galleries is required to patrol and direct visitors for a minimum of 4 hours during each shift.
- Ability to occasionally perform light lifting, twenty (20) pounds or less, of printed materials and office supplies.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear to speak to visitors, answer the phone, and give verbal instructions in the case of an emergency.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle digital payments, paper currency, and office materials; and reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to follow documented museum and gallery evacuation procedures in case of a threat or disaster.
- Ability to help other staff and departments break down events.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 1 – 3 years prior customer experience required.
- Energetic, outgoing, and friendly personality required.
- Must work enthusiastically, respectfully, and professionally with a diverse group of audiences and possess a passion for helping people discover and explore.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and basic computer tasks.
- Ability to work weekends, evening hours, and holidays is required. Must be able to work events and flexible hours up including times as late as midnight.
- Point of Sale (POS) experience preferred.
- Ability and willingness to accept feedback.
- Experience in art or museum-related field, hospitality, event services or retail and sales experience is desirable.
- Conversation skills in more than one language is a plus.
- Interpersonal Relations – Establishes rapport with others at all organizational levels, shows respect for others, considers and responds to the needs, feelings, and capabilities of others, establishes and maintains an open dialogue with others, works with others in a healthy and productive way.
- Customer Service/Teamwork – Is dedicated to internal and external customer service; committed to the TMA’s customer service standards, regardless of position; is able to work independently or as part of a dynamic team. Must be able to clearly follow instructions and process customer requests in a timely manner.
- Self-Management – Assesses own skills and abilities and identifies areas for improvement, willingly accepts constructive feedback, can work independently, or as part of a dynamic team, is able to produce under tight deadlines, can successfully handle multiple projects; possesses excellent organizational skills. Willingness and a desire to improve professionally. Ability to cooperate with supervisors.
- Personal Integrity and Professional Conduct – Demonstrates dependability, honesty, integrity, trustworthiness, and credibility, models appropriate professional behavior, accepts responsibilities for own actions, maintains confidentiality, upholds ethical standards.
- Adaptability – Adjusts, modifies own behavior, remains flexible in response to changing situations and environments, new or rapidly changing information, and unexpected obstacles; maintains high performance, emotional composure, objectivity, and balanced perspective under pressure and shifting priorities. Must work well with others.
- Oral and Written Communication – expresses ideas and facts in a clear and understandable manner appropriate for the individual or group; listens to and comprehends what others are saying. Ability to participate in discussions.
- Organizational Awareness – Uses the organization’s formal and informal social, political, and technical structures to build relationships, negotiate solutions and accomplish goals. Stays open-minded, embracing key elements of diverse perspectives, adapting strategies as needs, expectations or the organizational climate evolve. Gets positive results for clients and/or visitors and other stakeholders, based on accurate assessments of what is realistic and whose support is essential. Must be able to attend virtual and in-person meetings in a professional manner.
- Job Type: Part-time, 20-25 hours per week, predetermined weekly schedules.
- Wage: $15.00/hour. This is not a tipped position.
- Work Location: On-site at the Tampa Museum of Art in downtown Tampa, Florida
- Benefits: 401(k) with 3-4% match for employees ages 21 and up after 90 days of continuous employment.
- The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities considered necessary to perform the essential functions of the job. This document should not be considered a fully detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. Other duties may be assigned that are not listed in the above description and the TMA may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
- Pass a 90-day probationary period.
- This is an At-Will position and responsibilities and expectations can change.
Send your cover letter and resume to the Visitor Experience & Engagement Coordinator, Ian Wilson, at firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject line write “Application for Seasonal Part-Time Visitor Experience & Security Representative (VESR).”